The journals of Lois Lyda. Finding beauty in the imperfections of motherhood, life, faith.







Tuesday, September 13, 2011

the model-E

From the time I declared three weeks ago "I'm never leaving the house again," I've been puting in lots of stay-at-home miles. Considering my exhaustion at the close of every day, it really is surprising that it has only been human energy we've been burning around here. We've got our own version of the model T assembly line at the changing table; mom changes E4 while E1 takes the goods to the depository; mom changes E3, while E2 takes the goods to the depository. (I've really got to stop with the flax in the breakfast cereal. It's just so good for keeping things running smoothly.) Hair and teeth are not brushed, but clothes and shoes are on, so we are good to go for a neighborhood playdate in the park, I've got E3 in the stroller, E4 in the sling, and E1 and 2 at my sides helping to "push" the stroller. So far so good. I get to the park and haphazardly lather on sunscreen (spf block 50 for my very arian children - hitler would be proud). I reluctantly let E3 loose, and she's toddling off toward the parking lot in the blink of an eye while E3 is yelling "help help!" as she's dangling 5 feet off the ground from the top of the fireman's pole I never saw her climb. Thankfully, I don't have to choose who to save since E4 drop catches his sister. All in all, Im thinking it was a four-star trip to the park, until I realize I forgot to put sunscreen on the baby, and I overhear a mother-of-one say "I can't stand those moms with a bunch of kids who aren't paying attention to their own kids." Hmmmm. . . . time to depart back to the safety of our home. But then again, it hasn't actually proved to be that safe! I find E3 on the top of the table at least once an hour. This particular day she manages to break in to the "junk" drawer and is chewing on a AA battery and a candle as if it were a hotdog and a pixie stick. Somehow in the midst of all this "zoom", E1 has sounded out his first sentence, E3 has completed her first 36 piece puzzle unassisted, E3 has learned to put away her own laundry and E4 has found her smile.

2 comments:

  1. What a beautiful life you have!! Your children have such wonderful energy and learn to be better helpers every day! I'm so impressed with how quickly E1 and 2 are learning--proof of a brillant teacher/mother and good listeners! Go, lois, go! You are a very inspiring sister/mother/wife/teacher. I hope to have many of your attributes and the same passion as you one day! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dont worry about what other moms say....The ones that make those comments 1) have a maid or 2)they only have one child...so blow them off. Kids bounce well and if they fall, hopefully they learn not to climb that high again.....scars mean they have character lol

    ReplyDelete